Home contents insurance

your lease

Be prepared. Protect your belongings

It's your responsibility to organise your own home contents insurance.

We insure the structure of your home and also the communal areas on the scheme.  But, we DO NOT insure your furniture or belongings.

Home contents insurance covers the cost of replacing your belongings in your home if they are damaged, destroyed or stolen.  'Contents' generally means the items you would take with if you moved home, such as furniture, kitchenware, electricals and also carpets and curtains.

Below are details about an affordable home contents insurance provider recommended by the National Housing Federation.

You can also find out more about contents insurance on the Money Helper website.

National Housing Federation recommended contents insurance provider

The National Housing Federation (NHF) has teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, who provide the 'My Home Contents Insurance', a flexible and affordable home contents insurance for social housing tenants.

  • 'My Home Contents Insurance' by Thistle Tenants Risk

    The National Housing Federation (NHF) has teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, who provide the 'My Home Contents Insurance'. The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme is a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks.

    This affordable insurance covers the contents and personal belongings for tenants in social housing against loss or damage from specific events (for example, fire, theft or escape of water).

    The National Housing Federation (NHF) and Thistle Tenant Risks believe every resident has the right to access affordable home contents insurance that suits their needs.

  • Affordable and flexible policies

    The scheme can provide cover for your home contents against fire, theft, flood and other household risks, and has been developed to provide flexibility, with features such as:

    • No additional security requirements (just a lockable front door).
    • Optional cover around extended accidental damage.
    • Personal possessions (cover away from home).

    Residents can also choose from a range of payment options including, fortnightly, monthly or annual collections (fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction charge). There’s no long term contract, providing a pay-as-you-go option for residents.

  • Would you like to find out more?

    Take a look on Thistle Tenant Risk's website, or get in touch with them on:

    Tel: 0345 450 7288
    Email: myhome@thistleinsurance.co.uk