Rental customers: rent increase 2024-25

rent faq 24

From April 2024, the amount of rent you pay will change.

You'll find answers to lots of frequently asked questions and information about what this means for you below.

If you can't find the answers you need, please get in touch.

  • What is the rent increase for 2024-25?

    How is my rent increase calculated?

    Your rent increase is calculated using a formula set by the government which is based on the CPI (Consumer Price Index) taken from the previous September plus 1%.

    What is the rent increase for 2024-25?

    The Consumer Price Index (CPI) for September 2023 was 6.7%, therefore the increase applied to your rent for 2024-25 is 7.7%.

    What is CPI (Consumer Price Index)?

    The CPI is a commonly used measure of inflation, which measures changes in the prices of goods and the cost of living, such as household goods, food, and transport.

    How is my monthly rent calculated?

    Because there are slightly more than 52 weeks in a calendar year, and to incorporate a leap year, we calculate your monthly rent as follows:-

    Your weekly rent x 52.18 divided by 12 months

    i.e. £100 x 52.18 divided by 12 months = £434.83

    This is why your universal credit or housing benefit payments are slightly different if you pay monthly rather than four weekly.

  • How is my rent spent?

    As a profit-for-purpose association, we invest every penny we collect from your rent into providing good quality homes and services.

    This year’s increase will allow us to continue delivering our day-to-day services, such as repairs, and ensure we meet our commitments to invest in your homes for the future, through longer-term improvements, like replacing heating systems, windows, bathrooms and kitchens.

    We have to balance keeping rents as low as possible, whilst making sure we can fund essential maintenance and continue to improve the quality, safety and energy efficiency of our customer’s homes.

  • When will the new charges start?

    When will I find out what my new rent and service charges will be?

    You will receive a letter from us mid to late February, which will confirm what your new rent and service charges (if applicable) are.

    If you have not heard from us by 1 March 2024, please call us on 0300 1234 009 or email

    When will the new charges start?

    The new charges will apply from 1 April 2024.

What do I need to do?

  • I pay by direct debit - do I need to do anything?


    If you pay by direct debit we'll alter this for you and you'll receive notification directly from allpay.  Please check the details contained in your allpay notification are correct.

  • I pay by standing order - do I need to do anything?

    YES. Please contact your bank immediately to increase your standing order amount.

  • I receive Universal Credit - what do I need to do?

    If you’re receiving Universal Credit please let the Department for Work and Pensions know about this change in rent – this will help ensure you receive all the benefits you’re entitled to.

    To do this, update your online journal with the new total amount (rent and service charge). You may also receive a ‘To do’ notification in your journal to remind you.

  • I receive Housing Benefit - what do I need to do?

    If you receive Housing Benefit:

    • please inform the Housing Benefit department of your local council about your rent and service charge increase immediately.

    If you receive partial Housing Benefit:

    • please contact your Housing Officer to discuss the new shortfall amount that is due.

    Did you know you can have your housing benefit paid directly to us? Please speak to your Housing Officer to find out more.

  • When should I pay my rent?

    If you pay your rent weekly:

    Your rent should be paid on Monday for the week ahead.
    If you don't do this, your account will be in debt and we will get in touch to discuss your payments.

    If you pay your rent monthly:

    Your rent should be paid one month in advance. 
    If your account is not one full month in credit, we will write to you and advise you of the amount you need to pay.

  • What if I don't agree with the new rent charge?

    If you don’t agree with the rent change, please talk to us first and we’ll try to find a way forward.

    If you don't accept the proposed new rent and wish to dispute your rent variation you can appeal to the First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber).

    Further details on this process are also included on the above webpage.

Service charges

  • What is a service charge?

    A service charge is an amount payable in addition to the rent. This is to cover the costs of services and repairs in shared (communal) areas.

    The exact services you pay for will be set out in your tenancy agreement or lease, but might include:

    • Admin charges
      These are to pay for the administration and management of our service contracts, paying contractors and other bills, and calculating and administering the charges.

    • Cleaning – shared areas
      This covers contractor cleaning fees for internal and external communal areas, including window cleaning.

    • Communal electricity and communal lighting
      This covers the cost of providing electricity in communal areas on your scheme. This may include external lighting in carparks, street lighting (that is not maintained by the local authority) and electricity for sewage pumps. This also includes the costs of maintaining the internal and external lighting of communal areas.

    • Gardening and grounds maintenance
      This is for the gardening and maintenance of communal outside spaces within your scheme. This includes grass cutting, flower bed maintenance, maintaining any green spaces (which are not maintained by the local authority), hedge maintenance and weeding.

    • Management company charges
      This is to cover costs where the maintenance and upkeep of the communal areas are managed and administered by a private company on behalf of the landlord.

    • Provision charges
      These charges are to pay for major repairs to communal car parking areas, private roads, pathways and replacing capital items such as door entry systems. This fund also covers items outside of an annual gardening contract such as major tree works.

    • Sewage pump and tank maintenance (or Water treatment and cleaning)
      This covers the servicing and maintenance of sewage pump stations for waste water, if a property isn’t linked to the public sewer system.

    • Servicing and repairing door-entry systems
      The cost of servicing, repairing and replacing door entry systems including keys, entry phones, key cards and automatic doors.

    • Servicing and repairing communal TV aerials   
      This covers the cost of servicing and repairing communal aerial systems.

    • SC Abatement Affordables
      This will only appear on service charge schedules for customers paying affordable rent (which is different to social rent). This is the total weekly amount of your service charges that are included in your affordable rent.

  • How is the service charge calculated?

    The charge is calculated using the previous year’s actual costs, any known or estimated changes in costs for the current year, plus an adjustment for inflation.

    This gives us an overall cost for the scheme, which is divided equally between the customers who receive the services. So, you will only pay for your share of the services you receive.

    You'll receive details of your annual service breakdown with your annual rent letter.

  • What if I don’t agree with the service charge?

    If you don’t agree with the service charge, please talk to us first and we’ll try to find a way forward - email us or call on 0300 1234 009.

    If we are unable to reach an agreement, we would recommend you seek independent advice such as Citizens Advice.

    If you think you're being charged unfairly, you may be able to apply to the First-Tier Tribunal to determine whether you are liable to pay service charges.


  • How do I pay my rent?

    We offer several ways to pay your rent.

    Take a look at our how to pay your rent page.

  • How do I view my rent account?

    You can view your rent account online and update your personal information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on our customer portal, MyHomeOnline.

    If you haven't already, you can register on MyHomeOnline now.

    Once your details have been verified, we'll email you your registration code so you can login and view your account.

  • What if I'm struggling to pay my rent and service charge?

    We're here to help

    Whether you’re in employment or in receipt of benefit payments, money issues can affect anyone and if you're having difficulties paying your rent, we’re here to help.

    We understand it's a stressful situation, and the longer you leave it the worse the situation will get. We can help you with benefits and discuss how to manage your payments. We can also tell you about agencies who offer free and independent money advice to help you manage your debt.

    What happens if I fall behind on my rent payments?

    We'll do all we can to help and support you manage your rent payments. Find out more about what happens if you think you will fall behind.

    If you're not claiming Universal Credit or Housing Benefits

    You may be entitled to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit to help pay your rent if you're on a low income or claiming welfare benefits. The amount you receive will depend on your income, savings and family circumstances.

    We can offer assistance to complete forms and refer you to the relevant agencies and/or advice centres. However, the responsibility to apply for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, and to make sure it's being paid, is yours, even when the benefit is being paid direct to us.

    Where else can I find help?

    Take a look at our financial support webpages for further information and advice.

    There are also lots of free services available online and in your community. You’ll find lots of links on our support pages to a range of support agencies, tools and information to help you manage your money and make sure you’re receiving all the benefits you’re entitled to.

    If you can’t find the information you’re looking for on our support pages or need further assistance, please talk to your Housing Officer who can help you get the support you need.

  • Cost of living support guide 2024

    Our Cost of living support guide 2024 provides details on local and national support schemes and benefits.

  • Get in touch

    Please get in touch with us, we can help if you're having difficulty paying your rent or household bills.

    Have you liked our Facebook page? We post regular updates on financial support and benefits.